October 20, 2017

A Look at the 118th Annual Feast of Saint Gerard Maiella in Newark, New Jersey

Evviva San Gerardo! 
Photos by New York Scugnizzo
Scenes from Sunday's 118th Annual Feast of San Gerardo Maiella at Saint Lucy's Church, the national shrine of Saint Gerard, in Newark, New Jersey. 
Saint Gerard in Heavenly Glory by Gonippo Raggi.
Mural on the apse in Saint Gerard's Chapel
Boy Scout carried Old Glory during the National Anthem
After Mass, San Gerardo emerges from St. Lucy's Church with much fanfare
Cardinal Joseph Tobin offers a benediction before the procession
Devotees bring their babies to be blessed by the Saint 
Members of the St. Rocco Society of Potenza show their support
Always great to see our friends from the St. Joseph Society of Lodi, NJ
We stopped by to see our buddies at Buon Antipasto
We made new friends at Earth Moon Tide raw bar
Watching my weight, I skipped the fried food this year
and enjoyed some oysters with hot sauce and horseradish
Inside the church, I offered thanks to Santa Lucia and San Vito
for graces received through their intercession 
Making the rounds, I made my customary intercessory prayers
to the saints (including San Michele and San Sabino)
for the happy repose of the souls of my ancestors
I was blessed to have the opportunity to venerate the relic of San Sabino